Pesce alla Marinara su Orzo

Pesce alla Marinara su Orzo

Many cultures have dishes that revolve around some kind of seafood being cooked in a tomato sauce.  Sometimes the dishes are stews, sometimes they are a soup, other times the dish is a braise or poach of some sort. 

For this dish I wanted to do something different.  I was not in the mood for a soup or stew.  I also wanted to use food I had on hand to avoid a trip to the grocery store.

I had Riverence Rainbow Trout on hand.  I have prepared their steel head and rainbow in a variety of ways that we have greatly enjoyed.  Still, I wanted to do something different.

In the theme of fish cooked in tomato sauce, I have previously prepared steel head trout in a bouillabaisse style sauce and in a putanesca style sauce.  Thinking about these dishes launched me in the direction of fish in marinara sauce. 

From there it was a function of deciding on the accompaniments.   We have used orzo in a variety of fish dishes and like it so it seemed a natural fit.  Still, I wanted something different.  And of course, we needed a vegetable.

For the orzo, I did not want it swimming in tomato sauce but I did not want it dry.  I decided I would moisten and flavor it with Beurre Béarnaise. 

Béarnaise and fish work well together and I thought it would stand up to the tomato sauce well.  I also decided a nice glazed carrot would complement the overall flavor of the dish. 

I think I will use fresh asparagus next time.  It is what I really wanted for this dish.  But, I did not want to make the grocery store run. 😀

I had some mushrooms that I needed to use and thought including them with orzo would work well.  I also included a little sliced green onion. 

I cooked the orzo and reserved it on the side.  I then sautéed the mushrooms and green onions and mixed them into the orzo. 

I had some reduction used for béarnaise sauce and I stirred it into the orzo mixture.  Finally, I stirred in (our mounted) the orzo mixture with whole butter.  A couple of minor seasoning adjustments the orzo was done.

For the fish:  I made the marinara.  I then seasoned the fish with salt and pepper.  The seasoned fish was lightly seared in a sauté pan and then placed into the marinara sauce.  I simmered the fish for approximately 3 minutes and plated it on a mound of the orzo mixture.   

Overall, the dish worked well.  Next time I do this one, I will make a smooth tomato sauce that is not quite as thick as this one was. 

#LifeTimeLearning #LifeTimeTeaching #FamilyFood #RainbowTrout #Riverence #FishinTomatoSauce #Orzo #BeurreBéarnaise


 

As always, your questions or comments are welcome.

Until next time, Bon Appetit Y’all

Leslie Bartosh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canadian Bacon. Yes! You Can Make It!

Pho with Vegan Egg Roll

Making Spaetzle using a cutting board