Jerk Riverence Rainbow Trout With Thai Style Salad

 

Jerk Riverence Rainbow trout with Thai style salad.

Years ago, I had the pleasure of visiting Negril Jamaica.  The resort I stayed at, had a good Chef.  The food was fresh, vibrant, good, and very tasty.  No matter the meal, it was all prepared with care and pride.

This was my first exposure to Jerk style cooking.  Today as I think back on it, I remember the delightful balance between spice and the flavor of pimento (all spice). 

Sometime after my visit, I found some premade Jerk spice mixtures.  They weren’t the same as what I had in Jamaica but were good none the less.

Today when I want Jerk style food, I use my own Jerk seasoning mixture.  Usually, I will use it on fish.

When I “Jerk” fish, I like to do so over lump charcoal.  In Jamaica of course, this would be done over pimiento wood. 

If the weather or time does not permit cooking on the Jerk on the grill, I will either broil or sauté the item.  Even, though it is not quite as tasty as Jerk prepared over charcoal or wood; broiling or sautéing does a good job.

The food in this photo, Jerk fish with Thai style salad is a delightful combination flavors and textures.  The Thai style salad dressing is robust, but the Jerk seasoning holds up to it quite well. 

I like this combination because I can throw it together “on the fly”.  When I do the salad with Tuna or Steak, there is a prolonged marinading time for the protein item.  This one is quick.

For this rendition of the salad, I crisped up the skin from the trout to act as an additional crisp garnish, along with the fried wonton skin strips.  I also included a few pieces of Japanese style quick pickled cucumber.

Overall, this salad with satisfying and delightful.  It was full of big vibrant flavors, including a level of lip warming spice.  Great fun.

Thank you Riverence for the great fish to work with.

#LifeLongLearning #LifeLongTeaching #FamilyFood #JerkRainbowTrout #Jerk #ThaiStyleSalad

I hope you enjoyed this short write up.

As always, your questions or comments are welcome.

 


Until next time, Bon Appetit Y’all

Leslie Bartosh

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Feron! It was a delightful combination! I hope all is well with you and yours! Best regards.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canadian Bacon. Yes! You Can Make It!

Pho with Vegan Egg Roll

Making Spaetzle using a cutting board