Batbot or Bat Bot or Batbout? That is the question!

I have a fascination with breads.  I am particular, I am fascinated with flat breads from different cultures. 

Most cultures seem to have them.  And there is a lot of variety to choose from.   

Some flat breads are thin, some are thick, some are soft and tender, others are chewy, and some are even shatteringly crispy! 

The bread in the picture is from Morocco.  Typical of breads from some areas, the spelling of its name varies.  In some recipes it is spelled Batbot or Bat Bot.  In others it is spelled Batbout.

As is typical when the name of an item is spelled multiple ways; different recipes outline processing the bread differently.  The flour(s) used vary, as does how the bread is proofed. 

Most recipes proof the bread after it is rolled into rounds.  In the recipe I use,  the dough is bulk proofed/fermented and then rolled out and cooked.

Most recipes do not dock the bread before it cooked.  The recipe I use stipulates that the bread should be docked.

You may have noticed that I used the term cooked instead of baked.  This is because this bread is made on top of the stove and not baked in an oven.

Regardless of how it is spelled, Batbot is a chewy, tasty and delightful bread.  It is a yeasted flat bread and is thicker than some of the other flat breads.

When I look at this bread, I see it as an edible plate “liner” that is just perfect for holding savory foods.  In particular, I think of plating Kababs or something similar on it.  

I have not done it yet, but I think plating Kebapche (a caseless Bulgarian sausage) or Cevapi or Cevapcici on it, would work great.  For that fact, bat bot would work great, as a plate liner for any type of grilled item. 

Bat bot is delightful when served as an accompaniment to a meal.  It is even more enjoyable when it has absorbed some juices from an item on top of it. 

This is a quick and easy bread to make.  And requires a minimal amount of effort and no special equipment.  A mixing bowl and skillet will work just fine.

I hope what I have written will inspire you to find out more information about this delightful bread. 

For perspective, the bread pictured is approximately 10 inches across. 

#LifeLongLearning #LifeLongTeaching #FamilyFood #BatBot #Batbout #Morocco #Moroccan

 


As always, your questions or comments are welcome.

Until next time, Bon Appetit Y’all!

Leslie Bartosh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canadian Bacon. Yes! You Can Make It!

Pho with Vegan Egg Roll

Making Spaetzle using a cutting board