Beef Stew with Duchess Potato

 

Maybe it is how I was raised..........To me, Sunday Supper requires comfort food, like this beef stew with Duchess Potato.

I like to play with themes like beef stew but do twists on them.  Like adding a duchess potato to the dish.  This allows for a very interesting play on textures and flavors.  It also adds nice visual contrast to the plate.

Often when I make duchess potatoes for this type of dish, I will flavor them.  As an example, it is fun to bury a whole clove of roasted garlic deep inside the piped potato.  A buried surprise if you will.  Almost like the baby in a king cake but edible.

Horse radish also makes a nice addition to a duchess potato when the potato will be pared with beef or lamb.  Horseradish also works any other item where I can see the flavor combination.

When I make duchess potatoes, I usually make a big batch.  I freeze the raw piped out potato.  When it is frozen solid, I vacuum pack it and place it back in the freezer.  This allows me to have duchess potatoes on hand anytime I want one.  They can be baked from a frozen state or thawed and baked as these were.

One more variation on the theme of beef stew that I enjoy is having more vegetables than meat in the dish.  The flavor is still that of beef stew.  It is just healthier.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Diversified Ceramics for the great bowls that I used for this dish.

 #LifeLongLearning #LifeLongTeaching #FamilyFood


As always, your comments or questions are welcome.

Until next time,
Bon Appetit Y'all
Leslie Bartosh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canadian Bacon. Yes! You Can Make It!

Pho with Vegan Egg Roll

Making Spaetzle using a cutting board